One of the most rewarding career options in the healthcare industry you can consider is Medical Representative. MR, short for, Medical Representative is the one who sells and promotes pharma products sourced from the best pharma companies like Vivaceutical to general practitioners, pharmacists, doctors, and different medical facilities.
The main role of MR is to develop demand for existing products or introduce new products to ensure availability at retailers.
That’s not all!
Keep reading the blog to understand the meaning, role, and responsibility of MR.
Who is a Medical Representative?
Also popular with the name Medical Sales Representative, Medical Representative is the one who bridges the gap between medical experts and pharma manufacturing companies. While they don’t deal with the patients directly, they connect with doctors, pharmacists, dietitian, and other medical professionals to build strong professional relationships.
The main role of MR is to use their medical knowledge and skills to promote and sell pharma products, like medical equipment, medicines, and drugs for the firm they work for to different healthcare facilities.
The main motive is to ensure that every medical centre or facility is well-equipped and has all the necessary medical supplies to serve the patients. Needless to say, one must have adequate knowledge, skills, and a basic understanding of the pharma industry, medical policies, pharma products, and procedures to excel in their career as a medical representative.
Role of Medical Representative
The role and responsibility of a Medical Representative are not as simple as it seems. There is a lot of burden and challenges down the road. From working all day long to meeting various healthcare professionals, they are the ones who represent the company in a given territory.
The job of an MR is not confined to promoting the company’s medications only. There is a lot more on their plate.
- Develop various strategies to boost awareness about the products they are selling.
- Convince potential customers like doctors or pharmacists to buy the medical supplies of the company they work for.
- Determine forthcoming business opportunities for the company.
- Create demand for existing products or introduce new products.
- Provide information about the usage of the pharma products, equipment, or medicines.
- Maintain records of sales and doctors’ data on a monthly and yearly basis.
- Book appointments with doctors and other healthcare experts to market the company’s pharma products.
- Develop healthy business relationships with potential customers so that they can make more purchases in the future.
- Keep track of generated leads and customer conversion.
- Make presentations for potential customers.
- Perform competitor analysis and their respective market performances.
- Staying updated with the latest advancements and developments in the pharma industry.
- Make strategies to achieve sales targets.
- Getting customer feedback on the product.
- Understand market trends and conditions to get profitable opportunities for the company.
- Take care of the terms and conditions of the agreement and post-contract formalities.
What Makes a Medical Representative a Great Career Option?
Some of the valid reasons that make a medical representative a good career option are:
1. Offers career growth: Whether you are a newbie or experienced, starting your career as a medical representative can take you to new heights of success. All it requires is the right skill set and little knowledge to grow your career in the shortest time possible.
2. Flexible schedule: Flexible schedule is one of the main perks of this job profile.
3. Great earnings: Medical representative is one of the rewarding career opportunities in case you achieve the sales target.
4. Expand social circle: The main role of the medical representative is to build a strong professional network with medical professionals, thus allowing you to expand your social circle.
5. Learn new things: The pharma industry is subjectable to new changes and developments, giving you the opportunity to explore and learn new things.
6. Business opportunities: A medical representative can partner with one of the best pharma companies like Vivaceutical and start a PCD Pharma Franchise Company.
Also Read: Understanding the PCD Franchise Model.
What Does It Need to Become a Successful MR?
Success is not an overnight process. One needs to put a lot of effort to become a successful MR. Apart from that, one must have
- Good communications skills
- Bachelor’s degree in pharmacy or related field
- Proven experience in medical sales
- Strong negotiation skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Ability to take on a challenge
- Good product knowledge
- Positive attitude towards work
Let’s Wrap Up
Over the past few years, the Indian pharmaceutical industry has gained immense popularity for being one of the lucrative sectors to invest in. However, it requires adequate funds, time, and effort to manufacture and sell high-quality products in the competitive pharmaceutical landscape. The pharma industry needs someone who can promote and sell its products to medical facilities.
Medical representatives are known to be the building pillars of a company. In other words, they work as a front-end representative to promote the products of the pharma company and generate revenue.